Thursday, July 23, 2015

The GPS point Solution

Perhaps we should call this one, "From T to Shining T"
I immediately threw the images into a spreadsheet and also made a version of it with the card names and card numbers in the spreadsheet as well. I sent them over to Jason, and he helpfully pointed out to me that I had included Matt Carpenter, card number 123 in the grid, but the image the Codemaster posted was clearly Chris Carpenter, card number 195. You can see why I would make that mistake, since they are both Cardinals named Carpenter, and I was just doing a quick search on a checklist for card numbers. This was a very important error, though not in the way you might expect.

The first Hint turns out to have been ironic. More on this later:
So we did a lot of thinking about these two “T”s. We were trying to think about what card could be used to convert the right hand T into the left hand T. We figured the arrow was indicating that you started with the T on the right, then used some kind of card to change all the cards on the right into the cards on the left. And another hint:
We also thought about the letter T itself, and since there were a lot of double Ts present in the names. Maybe we needed a player with a double double T in his name, so we tried Andy Pettitte. Nothing. This point wasn’t really clicking, but we felt like we needed to win it since card grids were becoming our specialty. And another hint came along:
At this point, I had the A-Ha moment, but then I dismissed it. Allow me to explain. I sent a message to Jason on February 9: “Could these be GPS Coordinates?” If you take the card numbers in the two Ts, you can turn them into GPS coordinates. For example, the right hand T is 38 48 9 across the top and 90 6 7 down the middle. Expressed in Degrees, minutes, seconds, that’s 38°48’9” by 90°6’7” Since 90° lattitude puts you at one of the poles, we figured that the 3 vertical numbers were the longitude and the 3 horizontal numbers were lattitude. Even more exciting was that the right hand T put us at a spot near the Missouri/Illinois border.

I didn’t look closely at the exact spot it put us, but I should have. The reason I did not is that when I looked at the left hand T, it became clear that it couldn’t be GPS coordinates. Chris Carpenter is card number 195, and there is no 195° longitude. So it doesn’t produce a valid coordinate. Just to be sure, I tried subtracting 195 from 360 to get 165°, but that puts you in the middle of an ocean. So we just dropped the GPS coordinates and moved on.

The CM posted a new hint that was frustratingly confirmational for the GPS approach:
Maybe stellar coordinates? The left hand T put me in the middle of empty sky, but I was wondering if maybe Hayley’s Comet appeared there. The right hand GPS coordinate put me somewhere near the Mississippi, so maybe it was the Mark Twain coincidence card? And another:
There was a little bit of controversy. A hint was given after one team had submitted a response but before the deadline for the day. It led to a lot of confusion and headscratching, but ultimately, no points. Then one more hint that re-confirmed that we were looking for GPS coordinates:
The GPS thing was really bothering me. That had to be the solution. I said to Jason, “I’m still wondering if these are somehow GPS coordinates. The Right T puts you right outside St. Louis. Everything works except for Chris Carpenter. Is it possible he has the wrong Carpenter in the Picture?”

For fun, I tried using 123, which is Matt Carpenter’s card number.
Left Hand T
Those Coordinates put me somewhere in Oregon, near the Lewis and Clark River.


Wait a second!

I went back to the right hand coordinates in St. Louis:
Right hand T

That’s the Lewis & Clark State Historic Site, off of Lewis & Clark Blvd on Lewis & Clark Trail next to the Lewis & Clark state memorial park. How on earth did I miss that the first time I plotted this point?
If only Jason hadn’t corrected me for using the wrong Carpenter. Now the question that remains is whether the CM intended to use the wrong Carpenter, and that was part of what you had to do in order to solve the point? Or was it an honest mistake on his part, just like the one I made?

3 comments:

  1. For sure a mistake, who would have thought a guy who threw his last pitch in the majors in 2012 would have had a 2014 card? Probably no one. What's funny is at first I thought it was a call back to Matt Carpenter being the "broken record" from the 3x3 grid point Brian solved, but in reality it was likely a search for Carpenter image error.

    Either way, as you point out, it wa easily correctable and you could get the point by just seeing the first location.

    In hindsight I liked this point, even if Grant used a bad GPS app that didn't map things correctly thus causing me to set aside coordinates until the last tweet at which point it was too late.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, the phrase "game of inches" applies for me on this point more than ever before. :)

    Once again, nice work. This was a fun point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aside from mixing up the Carpenters, I think this is some of the best work by the CM. Very clever!

    ReplyDelete