Monday, July 13, 2015

"Hosmer Point" Solution

Good afternoon all!

I'll do my best to start posting the solutions in chronological order now.  I'm very glad now that I kept good notes of everything, because a lot of this stuff would have otherwise been purged from memory. The biggest challenge here is my desire to be 'complete', meaning I'd like to tell the whole story for each point, and I'd like to embed all the associated tweets for each ... thus, some of these point solutions will take quite a bit of time to construct eloquently.

The "Hosmer Point" was the first point that our team scored, 10/2/14.  This point was likely our best example of being in the right place at the right time.  This was still very early in the contest, and only the "Free Point" had been scored ... so when the CM announced that a new point would be introduced, there were many who were glued to the Twitter.



I was actually on my way out of this office when that tweet hit, so I sat back down just to see what it was about. I'm glad I did, because otherwise this point would have been lost. We came to call this one the "Speed Point", because it was meant to be scored quickly.



This type of point is in my wheelhouse, since it required fast Excel manipulation. (Jim probably would have solved this faster, but he was commuting. A common source of Codebreaker frustration.) As you can see, it's basically just a quick narrowing of the 2014 A&G base checklist to find a single card, then a simple calculation from the back of that card. Once narrowed, the card is Eric Hosmer, and the calculation is finding the difference between the highest stat and lowest stat on the back of his card. His highest stat is Hits (465), and his lowest stat is Triples (8), so the difference is 457, and must be written in the same form as on the back of the card.



Point scored.

- Grant

3 comments:

  1. The greatest point ever solved ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this one felt most out of place with all the other points.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking the CM wanted this one to be easy so as to not discourage the masses early on.

      Delete