Monday, July 20, 2015

"Beep Boop Point" Solution




This was a delicious pre-commute time, late afternoon, mono-alphabetic substitution point, but for whatever reason I was in a "I don't want to work on Ginter Code points" mood so I said I wouldn't look at it right away. Grant pressured me to look and after disappearing for a few minutes I came back with this:

I reduced quickly, like this:

-- boop = A
-- beep = B
-- Boop = C
-- Beep = D


Which gets you to:

-- B B. C CC B AB DD BB. A B DD. BB. BB BB. AB.
-- A. C B. AB AA. CA B DD. C AB. CA. B CB. B C AB. A.
-- AB DD AB. D BB. DB DD BB DD. DD B CD C B. AB

From there it was apparent this was the alphabet structure, and that the periods were used as an extension/modifier to get to a 26 letter alphabet. Two of the following were not used in the alphabet, but I didn't need to know which.

-- A,AA,B,BA,BB,C,CA,CB,CC,D,DA,DB,DC,DD
-- A.,AA.,B.,BA.,BB.,C.,CA.,CB.,CC.,D.,DA.,DB.,DC.,DD.


After figuring out the alphabet I had to do a hand-off to Grant and Brian, so I put it into Cryptoquip format so they could properly attack it. We had the cryptoquip almost instantly and while Brian assured me he would solve it in 10 minutes it took a couple hours for a reason I foreshadowed for them:

-- Jim: he just used some unique words, that's all 3:50 PM
-- Jim: it's above being random letters, but not perfectly english which is due to the 47 character sample size 3:51PM


As Grant points out, the chat log for this point was hilarious, in the end, the three of us were all trying to solve the Cryptoquip from three different locations, and for some reason no one was answering their phones when 2 of the 3 of us arrived at a solution.

Grant did a great job of trying to figure out how the alphabet actually worked. He was very focused on the way that it flowed and I actually don't recall how it was keyed, but he figured it out. Brian figured out the entire message as well, but not by attacking the alphabet structure, just doing it purely as a Cryptoquip. By doing some basic substitution, looking for common digraphs, etc., we decoded the three tweets as follows:

-- Tweet 1: AN IMAGE OF A ROBOT
-- Tweet 2: SINGULARITY AWAITS
-- Tweet 3: GET CODEBREAKING




- Jim

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, this one was a footrace. We had the exact same ABCD format, and assigned each combo a number. We got hung up because i started with the assumption that the first tweet would translate to "at the code master." It even has the right number of letters. By the time I realized I was wrong, you had cracked it. Then I went back and filled in the gaps to decide it.

    Nice job, guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew crushed this one. It was solved before I really spent any time. It felt like more was said here than necessary in the intro. Why all the backstory?

    ReplyDelete